We have a new game when we sit down to eat something we have made. It’s called “would this make the menu?” In my mind Stephen will have a restaurant someday. He will be the chef and I’ll be in charge of front of house. There is a slim-to-none chance of this happening. I know this because I helped run my mom’s cafe when I was in college. The hard work and physical labor are mind-blowing. So for now, you can come to our house and play pretend restaurant.
The first dish on the menu is from our “Breakfast Genius” section. It is insanely easy to make thanks to the slow cooker. Yes, it is a gadget, but it does soooo much in your kitchen, and it will earn its keep.
Pro Tip: make this before you go to bed.
This recipe was born out of a tight Sunday morning schedule. There were lots of household errands to do, but not a ton of time to make an awesome meal. Enter the beauty of the slow cooker. You dump the ingredients in the cooker and let casual heat and time do their magic. Meanwhile go to sleep knowing in 7 hours there will be a magically delicious breakfast waiting for you.
Active Time: 10 minutes | Total Time: 7 hours
Soundtrack: Anything by Peggy Lee
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 cup John McCann’s Steel Cut Irish Oatmeal
- 3 bananas (overripe are best)
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 apple: peeled, seeded, and diced
- A few shakes of cinnamon
- 1 Tsp. salt
- 1 Tsp. vanilla
- Pecans or walnuts
- Maple syrup
- 1/2 cup banana chips
- Pour coconut milk into your blender. Add 2 1/2 peeled bananas, molasses, vanilla, and salt. Blend until smooth.
- In the slow cooker add oatmeal, contents from the blender, water, diced apple, and cinnamon. Stir until well mixed.
- Set the slow cooker for 7 hours on low. Put the lid on. Walk away and go to bed.
- Wake up the next day. Your kitchen should smell amazing.
- Put on your morning soundtrack. Grab print edition of the New York Times Sunday paper. Make a fresh pot of strong coffee.
- Plate oatmeal. Top with pecans, walnuts, banana slices, banana chips, maple syrup, and butter.
- Enjoy because you just made someone’s day awesome.