- Open your calendar: app or paper, doesn’t matter.
- Take a look at the next two weeks and pick a night you are free.
- Think about someone you’d like to see. Maybe they have fallen off your radar or vice versa.
- Reach out to them by text, email, or a phone call—whatever you are comfortable with.
- Tell them you’d like to grab a meal, drink, coffee, or even take a walk. Include a specific date and time.
- Give them a few days to get back to you.
- Two things will happen: they respond or they blow you off.
- If they respond, congrats! Proceed with your awesome plan to catch up.
- If they blow you off: they are busy. They have kids. They are taking care of their family. They want to binge a show. Whatever. Don’t take it personally.
- Move on. Go back and start with #3. I’m sure you’ll have much more fun with that person anyway!
Social Security: How To Make a Plan with a Friend
Being social isn’t hard. But the responsibility is yours. Feel like you don’t have any friends? Not true. You do. Except they are all busy. Just like you. Here's how to change that